- 11 f/2.2 Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) V2 uses rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature
- Heavy duty CGX-L computerized equatorial mount with 75-lb payload capacity
The CGX-L 1100 Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Equatorial Telescope (CGX-L 11 RASA) sets a new standard in astroimaging systems at an extremely affordable price. The CGX-L 11 RASA telescope is an excellent advanced-level imaging setup. The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) produces images in a fraction of the time compared to other optical tubes. The CGX-L mount is designed to provide superior performance for larger telescopes while taking advantage of Celestron's most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, Starry Night Special Edition software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you're an experienced imager, you'll love taking this mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount.
Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Features
Capturing impressive deep-sky astroimages is easier than ever with Celestron's Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) V2, the perfect companion to today's top DSLR or astronomical CCD cameras. This fast, wide-field f/2.2 system allows for shorter exposure times compared to traditional f/10 astroimaging, without sacrificing resolution. Because shorter sub-exposure times are possible, your equatorial mount won't need to accurately track over extended periods. The short focal length also lessens equatorial tracking demands. In many cases, autoguiding will not be required.
RASA 11 V2 builds on the legacy of Celestron's Schmidt Cameras, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images with much shorter exposure times on film in the 1970s.
Today, with CCD sensor sizes as large as film or larger, the RASA 11 V2 offers a 43.3mm optimized image circle to capture pinpoint stars on the largest imaging chips. Optical performance for huge sensors with diagonals of up to 52mm wide is still excellent.
Combine this large image circle with a focal length of just 620mm and you have an instrument suitable for wide-field imaging, creating huge mosaics of the night sky, surveying, and even comet hunting.
The RASA 11 V2 features optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false color and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle are unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range-or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
RASA 11 V2 utilizes the new Ultra-Stable Focus System (USFS). At the heart of this system is a precision linear ball bearing. The bearing serves to minimize focus shift (unwanted lateral motion of the primary mirror during focusing which causes shifting of the image) and mirror flop (movement of the primary mirror when the telescope is pointing to different positions in the sky). The USFS is also compatible with the optional Celestron Focus Motor (#94155-A). The integrated 12V DC MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the RASA 11 V2 is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly. The Dovetail CGE bars on the top of the optical tube provides a connection for use of optional accessories like a guide scope.
CGX-L Mount Features:
Celestron's CGX-L computerized equatorial mount is the pinnacle of our fully computerized equatorial mount series. Capable of carrying Celestron's largest optical tubes with ease, CGX-L is perfect for backyard observatories and remote imagers looking for exceptional load capacity to weight ratio, compact design, and innovative features that fully support large telescopes, imaging kits, and the latest in wireless tech accessories.
Key design goals included:
- larger 144mm diameter worm wheels, which provide smoother operation and can more accurately drive heavier loads
- a longer 270mm dovetail saddle to support larger optical tubes
- remote operation-friendly features such as home and limit optical sensors
- easier polar alignment adjustments
- improved cable management
In addition to achieving all these goals, we've made mechanical and ergonomic improvements throughout CGX-L to make the mount sturdier, easier to use, and easier to transport.
- Ultra-fast, 11-inch f/2.2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Cuts imaging time by more than half
- Expansive 43.3 optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of even the largest astroimaging sensors, while the usable field extends even further to 52 mm for larger format sensors.
- New Ultra-Stable Focus System reduces image shift and mirror flop, while compatibility with the optional Focus Motor (#94155-A) provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown, vents with mesh filters block dust ingress
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
Computerized Mount Features:
- Increased 75 lb load capacity. Exceptional load capacity to weight ratio
- Additional Aux accessory ports and autoguider port on the Dec axis for better cable management
- Larger 144 mm diameter worm wheels to better and more accurately drive heavier loads
- Longer 270 mm dovetail saddle to better support larger optical tubes
- Massive 70 mm stainless steel tripod legs with a wider stance for improved stability under heavy loads
- Accessory tray holds three 1.25 and two 2 eyepieces with an upright stand for your smartphone or tablet
- Heavy duty, 31.5 mm stainless steel counterweight shaft to support additional counterweights
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope custom designed for CGX and CGX-L
- Supports WiFi and automatic alignment accessories such as StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module (sold separately)
- Compact, lower profile equatorial head provides improved stability and portability. Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Improved motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation at full capacity
- Clear windows built into motor covers so pulleys and belts can be monitored
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and lower accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevent cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- Includes Celestron's new CPWI telescope control software, co-developed by PlaneWave Instruments. Software features multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy
- Software Polar Align: All-Star Polar Alignment allows quick and very precise polar alignment. Align on any bright named star without extra polar alignment accessories, apps, or other assistance
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3°-65° latitude range
- Dual-fit Vixen/CG-5 and Losmandy/CGE dovetail saddle
- +20° of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Redesigned tripod has a widened stance for added stability. The minimum tripod height has also been lowered per user feedback
- Massive accessory tray provides rigid support to the tripod, tripod leg braces also add additional structural stability
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport, while the integrated leg strap keeps the legs bound together for easy carrying
- Integrated bubble levels for accurate tripod and mount leveling
- Integrated handles for easy transport and portability
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system. All-new ergonomic adjustment knobs with reduced friction for smooth and easy positioning under full loads. Stationary latitude knob with a newly-designed linkage system greatly reduces the amount of friction when polar aligning the mount. Redesigned azimuth adjustment with low-friction Teflon bearings to make adjustments easy under full load. No more binding, rough adjustments!
- Easy to read latitude scale
- NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- USB 2.0 port used to connect directly to PC with CPWI Software
- 2 available autoguider ports for optimum cable management
- PEC sensor and PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved)
- On/Off rocker switch with red LED
What is the heaviest recommend load for mounting a camera onto the RASA 11?
We recommend a load of no more than 33 lbs. at 5.0 inches away from the 11" Schmidt corrector.
I have a RASA 11, and I'm not certain if it is the original version or the V2 version. How can I tell the difference
The RASA 11 V2 uses the Ultra-Stable Focus System, and therefore does not have mirror clutch knobs on the rear cell. The RASA 11 V2 also comes with the Celestron focus knob, not the FeatherTouch MircoFocuser.
|Optical Tube Info:|
|Optical Design:||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph|
|Focal Length:||620mm (24.4")|
|Central obstruction diameter:||114mm (4.48") (41% of aperture diameter)|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye):||1588x|
|Resolution (Rayleigh):||0.49 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes):||0.41 arc seconds|
|Image Circle:||43.3mm (1.7") Ã˜ , 4.0°|
|Useable field:||52mm (2.04") Ã˜ , 4.8° only minimal performance loss at edge of FOV|
|Wavelength range:||400 - 700 nm|
|Spot size:||< 4.4 um RMS across FOV|
|Optical Coatings:||StarBright XLT|
|Off-axis Illumination:||83% at 21mm (.82") off-axis|
|Optical Window:||68mm (2.67") Ã˜|
|Back focus with included camera adapter:||55mm (2.16")|
|Back focus from top of threaded collar:||72.8mm (2.86")|
|Optical Tube Length:||838.2mm (33")|
|Optical Tube Diameter:||330.2mm (13")|
|Focuser:||Ultra-Stable Focus System|
|Optical Tube Weight:||43 lbs (19.5 kg)|
|Other Features:||Ventilation fan, dual dovetail mounting bars|
|Included items:||42mm (1.65") T-thread camera adapter | 48mm (1.89") camera adapter | Dust cover | Fan battery pack|
|Dovetail:||CGE Dovetail Bar|
|Mount Type:||Computerized Equatorial|
|Instrument load capacity:||75 lbs (34 kg)|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod):||1524mm - 1955.8mm (60" - 77")|
|Tripod adjustment range (tripod only):||838.2mm - 1397mm (33" - 55")|
|Equatorial height alone:||609.6mm (24")|
|Tripod Leg Diameter:||69.85mm (2.75") Steel tripod|
|Latitude adjustment range:||3° - 65°|
|Mount Head Weight:||52.6 lbs (23.8 kg)|
|Tripod Weight:||46.2 lbs (21 kg)|
|Weight of Counterweights:||2 x 22 lbs|
|Slew Speeds:||9 slew speeds - max speed 3°/second|
|Tracking Rates:||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes:||EQ North and EQ South|
|Dovetail Compatibility:||Dual saddle plates (CG-5 and CGE saddle)|
|Number of Auxiliary Ports:||4 AUX Ports (Hand Control can use any AUX Port, 2 are located near the dovetail saddle for optional accessories)|
|Autoguide Port:||Yes, 2 Ports (one is located near the dovetail saddle)|
|USB Port:||Yes, input for Mount and Hand Control|
|Power Requirements:||12V DC, 3 amps|
|Motor Drive:||DC servo motors|
|Alignment Procedures:||2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align|
|Periodic Error Correction:||Yes|
|Computer Hand Control:||2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display, 19 LED backlit buttons, USB 2.0 Port for PC connection|
|NexStar+ Database:||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Software:||CPWI Telescope Control Software | Celestron Starry Night Special Edition Software | SkyPortal App|
|Total Kit Weight:||185.8 lbs (84.2 kg)|
|Included Items:||CGX-L Equatorial Head | CGX-L Tripod | Accessory Tray | 2 x 22 lb counterweight | NexStar+ Hand Control | DC Power Cable (item# 18769) | Counterweight Shaft | Hand Control Holster | 8mm Allen wrench (contained in rear carry handle)|